Thursday, September 20, 2007

I'm a Writer. Really I am a Writer. I Write.

A few years ago, I left the world of high tech marketing, dotcoms, and software, and ventured out on my own. I started a marketing consulting business part time. I volunteered with a native plant society and park improvement groups and considered a career change back to the not-for-profit world. I learned how to train a dog by doing it, took up quilting, and learned a few new creative skills like tatting. I wrote several articles in regional and national publications, and developed a line of project bags and accessories for knitters.
Sound a little scattered? Well after lots of false starts, I finally have an answer when new acquaintances turn to me and say, “What do you do, Kay?”
I say, “I am a writer”. When they say, “what do you write?” I reply, “I recently published a book about my father’s experiences during World War II” (buy it here Publisher Link or Amazon Link)
“Yeah, Yeah, Yeah,” you say, “but what have you written that anyone beyond your first cousin would care about”. Well let me tell you…
In the October issue of Georgia Gardening magazine will be an article about Historic Oakland Cemetery in Atlanta; A place of beauty and history that you shouldn’t miss if you come here. Get the Magazine or visit the Oakland Cemetery website. This week I’m working on an article about Trees Atlanta and the Neighborhood Arboretum project – that will be published sometime during the winter.
That’s the nature of writing for magazines. I finished the Oakland article in June but it doesn’t appear until October. Makes writing anything with a time component (they will do [scratch that insert did] such and such in fall 2007) somewhat akin to water torture.
And, I have started a new book. No details except to say it will be the first in a series, and useful. The goal is to have it out before the end of the year, but I’ll have to keep you posted on progress.
Anyway, the import thing (to me) is that I can finally say, “I’m a writer.” I get up every morning, take Lady (the dog) for some exercise, eat breakfast, shower, dress, and walk into my office just like a normal grownup. Then I sit down and write. My next goal is to be able to say, “I write for a living”. Not there yet.
Finally, the question of the day is, "why am I blogging", and the answer has to be Stephanie Pearl-McPhee, aka the Yarn Harlot. Last night I had the chance to hear her speak – not about her new book Stephanie Pearl-McPhee Casts Off, but about living the life of a Knitter (with a capital K). The woman is one of the funniest human beings on the planet. Seriously whether you knit or not, go to one of her book signings and hear her speak Book Tour Schedule. Anyway, she was talking about writing and technology and blogging and it made me feel guilty. Here I am a “software person” and “writer” and I wasn’t blogging. A sad commentary. So here it is. Let me know what you think – even if you think it stinks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kay, just a few words to let you know that I have read your blog and enjoyed all the news. I am reading the Yarn Harlots book also and agree that she is a hoot! Later Pat